The next project was building a technical building next to the Doce de Octubre Hospital (Madrid) to cover the needs of all general services regarding heating, sanitary hot water and steam generation.
The purpose was covering the Gas Oil supply needs of 6 heating boilers and 2 steam generators with mixed, modulating burners.
The installation would include 4 main gas oil tanks for the supply of their corresponding burners. The presence of a single pump system forced to plan an automatic suction protocol system via level probes.
On the other hand, modulating burners required pumping parameters in which flow, temperature and pressure were constant.
Solution adopted by INPRO
Main tank interstitial chamber detection
Double-skin detection can be done in several ways: with pressure, vacuum, fluid…, with automatic regeneration or without it…
We opted to place vacuum detectors with regenerative pump in the supply tank as well as in the main tanks, thus preventing false alarms. Controlling and installing a vacuum system is more effective than installing a pressure or fluid system. In conclusion, we chose to install a DDP-25 double-skinned detector according to standard EN 13160-1, Class 1.
Control of main tanks
Given the need for suctioning from 4 main tanks with a single ring pumping system, the suction of each tank must be controlled with a control panel with the ability to differentiate which tanks need suction and which ones need returns. The suction protocol consists of carrying out the suction process of one tank until it is at reserve levels; then, the next tank will undergo suction and the process will be repeated in all tanks. This process provides the longest operation time and correct management of even the oldest types of gas oil.
A control panel that carried out the operations below was designed, consisting of 4 EDM-40 meters that thanks to their flexibility can check the level of the tanks and control the opening and closing of the solenoid valves and, at the same time, send the analog signals corresponding to the management system, trigger the filling warning kits upon unloading the truck in order to prevent spillage and in compliance with the applicable regulations regarding fuel storage IP-04.
Steel gas oil distribution piping was installed.
Pipes were selected according to the criteria of standard DIN 4755 indicating that gas oil speed in propulsion pipes must be between 1 and 1.5 m/s and in suction pipes between 0.2 and 0.5m/s.
Any leaks in the connections of the pumping system will be detected by an infrared spillage detector that will interrupt the operation of the unit, thus preventing an increased rate of incidents and triggering the alarm in the management system via a digital spillage signal.
The selected pump system consisted of 2 self-priming 10,000 L/h motor pumps, with double filter, safety and retention valves, spill collection trays with infrared detectors as well as minimum pressure switch to avoid no-load operation. Everything mounted on a steel frame, producing a modular system that arrived to the installation after undergoing all adequate operation tests in the testing bench in our facilities. The unit has alarm digital outputs for the management system.
The flow required to supply all the burners is 8000 L/h with an extremely variable simultaneity. This fact, along with the operating needs of the modulating burners (constant flow, temperature and pressure) made RL (Ring Supply System) the most appropriate pumping system. Pressure variations from start-up needs of the different burners and the increased temperature cause an inadequate pressure differential. A battery consisting of 2 parallel 10,000 L/h stabilizer valves was placed at the return, in order to decrease the aforementioned P-Delta, thus ensuring control over the pressure increase between maximum and minimum demand.
Pyrometers were installed to control the smoke outlet temperature of the boiler chimneys, which complemented the data required to ensure proper energy efficiency of the installation.
All units will provide status signals and/or alarms, as well as analog signals that are collected by the SCADA of the technical building.
IMAGES OF THE PROJECTS
Elements of the installation supplied by INPRO
Continuous level display and control unit completely adapted to the needs of the installation. Displays the level at all times, expressed as a percentage. All required operations can be done via the relay module and the analog communication output. Customized manufacture makes this unit perfect for all kinds of tanks and a wide array of fluids.
• Standard operating temperature: 40ºC that can be adapted to reach up to 125ºC.
• Control unit in standardized module (DIN 43700) 96 x 43 x 100, can be mounted with panels.
• Flexible probe with sealed head, can be fastened with 2’’, 11/2’’ or 1’’ nuts. Mounted with aluminum or standardized flange.
• Overfilling warning alarm triggering with 95 dB acoustic signal, automatic shut-off and reset push button with IP-55 protection. It complies with the requirements of the standard MI-IP03 on “Oil Installations for own consumption”.
INTERSTITIAL CHAMBER DETECTOR DDP-25
Vacuum leak detector for interstitial chamber in double-skinned tanks according to EN 13160-1, Class 1.
• Has a regenerative pump controlled with an adjustable vacustat. Thus keeping a -400 mBar pressure between the inner and outer skins of the double-skinned tank. When dropping below 380 mBar, the pump regenerates the vacuum; if there are any holes, the negative pressure does not regenerate; the alarm triggers upon reaching 340 mBar.
• These units are perfect for tanks of up to 3 m of diameter.
Oil pump system “INPRO” ATAM-GE
Oil pump systems ATAM-GET are synonyms for adaptation. They are designed to fulfill pumping and redundancy needs and to comply with the safety protocols of installations controlled by centralized control panels, with touch screen automatons and Mod-bus communication. A perfect combo for every installation. Control panels for filling motor pumps, overflow, solenoid valves, alarms, etc., as well as possible operating management inputs.
• Compact units with all the elements required for gas oil pumping, joined in an aluminum collector on a furnace-painted plate bench.
• Flows of up to 70 Liters/hour, with the possibility of on-demand pumping via speed variation.
• With a flow meter to instantly check the operating conditions.
COLLECTOR TRAY WITH SPILLAGE DETECTOR
Placing collector trays under certain elements of the installation is recommended. Particularly, equipment that could leak due to its characteristics or during maintenance tasks. Placing a spillage detector for the tray gives the possibility of creating protocols.
• Furnace-painted plate tray with the appropriate size for each circumstance.
• Spillage detector in the control panel and detection probe. Infrared optical sensor for oil and water, conductivity sensor for water or both, mounted on the same probe.
• Standard 1.5 m probe.
• The control unit of the detector is mounted in a box with impact-resistant plastic cover. The control unit contains two voltage free relays, one for commuting and the other one usually open.
Set of solenoid valves to control the filling process and safety against spillage due to excessive levels.
• Chrome plated brass Y-shaped filter, with stainless steel 0.05 mm mesh PN16.
• Gas oil N.C. solenoid valve to control the filling process.
• A regulated and sealed container (flow limiter) adapted to the desired flow, consisting of a chrome plated brass valve and nylon seals.
• Gas oil N.O. solenoid valve to control the filling process.
SMMR level switches perform the operations required for the filling process and the tank overfilling alarms and protocols. Custom manufacture based on actual needs.
• Probes manufactured from different materials to work with fluids such as gas oil, oil, water, milk, etc.
• Probe with sealed head, can be fastened with 2’’, 11/2’’ or 1’’ nuts, mounted with aluminum or standardized flange.
• For controlling pumps, solenoid valves, alarms, etc…
• Control box with relays and power supply.
PUMP WITH RETENTION VALVE
Eccentric motor pump with self-adjusting blades for oil transfer with an approximate flow of 50 liters per minute IRON-50 with retention valve for maintenance of
• With re-circulation by-pass valve and pre-filter.
• Free outlet flow: 50 L/min
• Consumption: 1.2-2 A
• Motor: 0.25 kW 230 VCA 50/60 Hz mono-phase, self-ventilated with thermal protection
• Continuous operation S1
• IP55 Protection
PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE
Constant pressure and flow regulator valve according to consumption variations
• For gas oil, lubricant and hydraulic oils.
• Maximum temperature of the fluid: 250ºC.
• Hydraulic cast iron. Piston, needle and tempered steel spring.
With regulation for temperature cut-off
• To control combustion gases in the boiler chimney.
• When outlet gases reach the maximum legal temperature (240ºC) the heat generator (boiler) is shut off.
• Note: The boiler does not work correctly over 240ºC and the emission of polluting agents increases.
• With adjustable thermostat up to 300ºC, thermometer and manual, local and remote reassembly.
• With 1 and 3 m capillaries with a 200 mm stainless steel case.
• Voltage free output relay with the option of performing additional operations.